Des Lee Middle School Honor Choir Registration
Enclosed is the registration form for the Des Lee Fine Arts Education Collaborative Middle School Festival. The festival will be held on Wednesday, February 6, 2019 and will culminate with an evening concert at the Blanche M. Touhill Performing Arts Center on the University of Missouri-St. Louis campus. The choir will be conducted by Mr. Daniel Gutierrez, Nixa High School, Choral Instructor.
PLEASE SELECT NO MORE THAN TWO SAB TRIOS OR SIX OF YOUR BEST SINGERS FOR THE FESTIVAL. When selecting your students, please observe the following:
- Students must be able to comfortably perform middle school choral literature or above.
- Select students who are able to match pitch.
- Select students willing to learn their music before they arrive at the festival.
- Prioritize your recommendations by listing your best students first on the form (trio 1).
- Provide comments on each student so that the selections can be based on the students’ abilities.
Comments should include abilities, other honors’ groups participated in, discipline.
- Remember that not all students will be selected for the choir. Selections are based on listed ability, recommendations and choir needs.
- This has changed from previous years. We want this to be an honor experience, much like the ensembles of Suburban and Metro districts.
Not following any of the above mentioned recommendations when selecting students will cause the overall ensemble to suffer. Students selected who do not meet the above criteria will slow down rehearsal. Students that are not prepared or qualified to participate will negatively affect the education of those who are prepared and who do meet the above recommendations.
When planning for the event please remember:
- Rehearsal starts promptly at 11:15 a.m. Students need to eat lunch before they arrive.
- Students will arrive in concert dress – Girls: white blouse, black skirt (or black pants) and black shoes – Boys: white shirt, black tie, black slacks and black shoes. No jeans!!
- Students will receive a break for dinner and will be responsible for their own dinner.
- The concert will begin at 6:30 p.m. – all family, friends and teachers are welcome.
- The concert will include a choir, orchestra, and the concert band.
- Performers will have assigned seats for the concert and are expected to stay in their assigned seats until the conclusion of the concert. Teachers should sit WITH their students.
- Directors will receive one copy of each piece for themselves and also one copy of each for every 2 students. You may keep this music after the festival.
- Directors must be present for the entire day of the festival and should sit among students in the rehearsal modeling correct posture, singing, behavior etc.
- In addition to the six students you select, please list three alternates. If the number of schools participating is low, you may be invited to bring some or all of them.